If you have followed this blog at all, this post will come as no surprise. For years, I have been writing that Pornography is the Goliath of our generation. Although, I have been silent on this subject the last few months. My views have not changed.
Today, I receive a monthly email newsletter from the American Family Association of Kansas and Missouri. As I read down through the headlines, my heart just sank! We are losing the battle! A battle not on foreign soil but in homes all across our land.
TopTenReviews ” reveals that KCKS (Kansas City, KS) is the 7th , 5th & 3rd top cities in the U.S. for frequency of internet search requests for the words; porn, xxx, & sex.” It goes on to state that the KC Star headline reads….”Surge in KC homicides Perplexes…Kansas City police say they have seen no specific factors or patterns that can explain the spike in violent activity. “There is nothing that really jumps out”…”We haven’t seen anything that links them together.”
Readers, I have wrote before that the online use of pornography is causing a War on Women and Children. I won’t back down on that statement. Why do you think there is an increase in murders in Kansas City? Could it be because of the frequent viewing of online sex?
Hear my heart! I don’t stand in condemnation, but in sorrow and anguish. I understand the strangulation hold of this addiction. I have witnessed the effects it has on men, women, teens, families, and yes, even churches. The wake of this addiction is total destruction. And it all begins with one quick glance. Many times an innocent one, at best.
So, this evening my one smooth stone is education through this blog! Here are practical steps you can take to protect your family:
- Sign up for online security for your computer, smart phones and electronic devices. In our home, we have used both www.SafeEyes.com and www.x3watch.com. I highly recommend the x3watch if you already have an issue with online viewing. This allows for accountability when you are not available.
- Have an open and frank discussion with your children. Statistics reveal that 12- to 17-year-old boys are among the highest consumer group of pornography
- Follow your children’s Facebook, Twitter and any other Social Media account. If they won’t “friend or follow” you, be questioning why. Then insist on knowing their log in name and password.
- If you feel there is an issue, CONFRONT IT by speaking the truth in love. This addiction thrives in darkness, so bring it into the light. Before you confront, make sure you are covered in prayer. Find someone you trust to pray for you and the one you need to confront. Remember that “our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” (Eph. 6:12)
- Pray. Pray. And PRAY! For those Moms who have children in school, I encourage you to become a part of Moms In Prayer International. However, if you don’t have a chapter in your community, find at least one other Mom who will be your prayer partner for your family.
Dear one, we might be losing the battle but the war is still raging. As the saying goes, “It isn’t over till it is over.” So, using the list above, pick up one smooth stone and sling it towards this enemy! I still believe we can deliver the head of this giant at Jesus feet!